Hunterstown, PA - Civil War Village

Return to Limited Edition Prints...

 

Edwin L. Green, Artist

Oil Paintings/Watercolor Paintings

The Felty Farm - North Cavalry Battlefield

Original: Oil on Canvas 11x14 inches

 

Special Giclee Edition

Full size 11x14 giclee reproduction of the original oil painting

 Felty Farm Battlefield - the North Cavalry Field.

To insure that you get your painting, subscribe now.

Numbers are limited. $150

 

Hunterstown

Hunterstown, PA, a quaint little Civil War era village near Gettysburg, has recently been declared a National Historic Site and as such is listed as endangered. There is a serious effort underway to preserve the area and the many treasures that still exist there. These watercolors, commissioned by Laurie and Roger Harding, are of the houses in Hunterstown which were standing during the fierce cavalry engagement of July 2, 1863. It is the Harding's and my own fervent hope that they will call attention to a story which is often overshadowed by the immensity of the struggle which took place five miles away at Gettysburg. The paintings will have served their purpose if they encourage others to work toward preserving what is so easily lost forever. Recently a local farmer demolished the barn which hid Union troops in the ambush George Custer so cleverly contrived for General Hampton's cavalry. Today it is the developers who threaten to ride roughshod over this town and her surrounding fields. Every effort must be made to prevent that misfortune.

Great Conewago Church

The church has been in use since 1784; the congregation has worshipped in the area since 1740. The adjacent cemetery has graves of Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers.

Tate Farm

Washington had his horse shod at the farm's blacksmith shop on his return from quelling the Whiskey Rebellion July 2, 1863 Union and Confederate cavalry collided head on.

George Grass Log House

The first settlers followed an Indian trail through here. Later David Hunter plotted a town in 1741.

Jacob Grass Hotel

This two-story brick hotel served as a headquarters for Gen. Kilpatrick and after the battle as the largest hospital in town.

Prints in this series are individually signed and numbered by the artist. Editions are limited to a100 prints each.  Standard frame size is 9x12. $45 each including shipping

Hunterstown School

This weatherboard two room schoolhouse served Hunterstown throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

J. G. Gilbert Store

A grim photograph shows the Gilbert Store used as a temporary morgue after the battle of Hunterstown. The dead were laid out under the porch awaiting transport to nearby railheads.

 

Tate Farm House

The restored farmhouse and formal garden was the scene of trade with the Indians and settlers along Beaver Dam Creek and later part of the Gettysburg Campaign.

Tate Farm Outbuildings

The outbuildings at Tate Farm are original: a summer kitchen with walk in fireplace, a granary, spring house, carriage house, garden shed, outhouse, stable, and large barn with a cannonball hole.

The David Little House

David Little is said to have made chairs here as early as 1816. Huntertown was known as the "rocking chair capitol of the world well into the 1900's.

T. W. Neely Store

 This pre-Civil War house, located on the northeast corner of the square in Hunterstown, has been a store, a residence and the Election House for Straban Township was located on the rear of the property until recently.

 

Rev. J. N. Hayes House

Built by Rev. Hayes during his tenure at Great Conewago Church- 1850 to 1854. He along with his sister, Miss Jane Hayes, founded and conducted the Hunterstown Female Institute.

 

Jesse McCreary House

This mostly log house was owned by village tailor Jesse McCreary and his wife Jane. They had two daughters, Alice and Martha. Alice was married to Dr. Charles E. Goldsborough, a local physician. Martha married David L. Plank. Their son, Edward Stewart Plank, was a pitcher for the Philadelphia Athletics and is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Montgomery Place 

circa 1790

Purchased by Rev. Joseph Henderson in 1792. Bought by Abraham Fickes and Jacob Taughenbaugh in 1802. Confederate cavalry visited in 1863 seeking fresh mounts. Young Joseph W. Taughenbaugh nearly lost his pony "Sam", but a compassionate Confederate officer allowed it was "not big enough to carry a man" 5th and 6th generation descendants of Jacob Taughenbaugh presently own and occupy the house and lands.

To order please e-mail or call

Edwin L. Green, Artist

P. O. Box 744    Toano, Virginia  23168

Phone (757) 566-1582

email:  elgreenart@gmail.com

 

Copyright 2015  Edwin L. Green   All rights reserved   Digital Watermark protection

 

 

 

Hit Counter